Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Day 1

So, I work up this morning, slightly hungover from a dinner with friends the night before. As I routinely went to prepare my coffee, I breathed in a quick sigh of panic when I realized that I had just opened up the trash can lid and threw the coffee grounds from the day before in the trash! How could I do such a horrible thing? Ah well, it was then that I realized my two weeks were in session. I quickly forgave myself. If anymore coffee grinds wind up in the trash- I will fetch them out and carry them with me for the remainder of my sentence!
Unlike Max, I decided that I wasn't going to change too much of my daily personal care and eating routines. I think it would be better to learn how to minimize the waste that I regularly create on a day to day basis. Given that I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, yogurt/frozen yogurt, bread and meat; I figured that I could really succeed at minimizing my trash consumption. So, started a compost and decided that I wouldn't eat anything unless it came in a recycable package. James and I had lunch out, and I explained the speal to our server. Miraculously, I only walked away with a tupperware full of one lemon wedge, that came with my water before I had a chance to explain my speal, and and some unfinished salad. I composted all of it when I returned home. That night, we went to a BBQ. I explained my little adventure to the host and hostess. The host provided me with a real plate and silverware, offerred me a bite of her cherry so that I wouldn't have to carry the pit around with me and even expressed interest in trying the project. Her husband on the otherhand, found another person to join in harrassing me. Together, they attempted to get me to consume cherries, corn on the cob, open the sausage packaging, eat of a paper plate etc. Successfully, I came him with a corn on the cob to compost, which I consciously chose to consume! A day well done!

The project originated here: http://www.frogdesign.com/frogblog/trash-talk-introduction.html

No comments: